So the Seattle Seahawks are playing the biggest game of
their lives this weekend. You know… just incase you hadn’t heard. Just incase
you hadn’t noticed the city awash in Blue and Green. Just incase you didn’t see
the blue flags sporting the number 12 flying EVERYWHERE. Just incase.
I am an outsider. I am new here to the city. I’ve even been
told I don’t have the right to cheer and be part of this celebration. But I’ve
watched this city transform into something crazy, something amazing, something
that I’ve never seen before.
Over the past 4 years I’ve been watching and learning about
the Pacific Northwest through the eyes of an outsider looking in. Observing and
noticing things that Seattleites just don’t see. I’ve seen them grow as a
community. That’s a pretty cool thing for such a large place.
There are no major sports teams where I come from. The
closest thing is a Major Junior Hockey team; who are awesome, but no where near
the scale of an NFL team. Where I come from community is standard. It’s just
always been there. I didn’t originally feel that way when I moved to Seattle.
Neighbors didn’t talk to one another, strangers passed each other on the street
without so much as a “Hello!” or a “Crappy weather again today isn’t it?!”.
People just accepted the grey monotony and trudged onwards day after day.
Then it started happening. There were whispers, murmurs, a
“Beast Quake”.
Now don’t get me wrong. The 12th Man has always
been loud and proud but usually you’d see the Seahawks gear come out on Blue
Fridays and on game days and that was it.
But now it’s different. It really started last season. Jerseys were out
in full force everyday. Buildings proudly flew their 12th Man flags.
Blue and green were seen everywhere.
This season… things are out of control in the best way possible.
Everyone and their dog are decked out in Seahawks colors and the local shops
and restaurants are getting in on the fun. And I mean really, Skittles make
everything better, right? Fans line the streets by the thousands to wish our
team farewell and good luck as the buses crawl by en route to the airport.
Hell, we even have a 12th man plane flying 12s all over this state!
But more than the colors being worn, or the buildings lit up
at night, or the post-it notes in the windows, or the flags hanging out of
every window; it’s the people I notice the change in the most. People are
walking with more of a skip in their step. People are friendlier. Strangers
have things to talk about. Even Cougars and Huskies fans seem to be able to
find some common ground. There’s a new sense of pride out there.
While the rest of the country is only now starting to take
notice, the party is already in full swing up here in the Northwest. This city
is gearing up for one hell of a weekend and I know it really will be “Sleepless
in Seattle” come Saturday night. There will be parties and pig roasts and jello
shots and chili and so much nacho cheese you could drown in it. I highly
suggest not doing that though; you’d miss all the fun!
I know that come kickoff time the streets of Seattle will be
a virtual ghost town and it will be silent save for the random cheers emanating
from bars and living rooms across the state. The party will continue into next
week. There will be thousands and thousands turn up at the airport to greet our
team and welcome them home. There will be parties and parades and fireworks and
the 12th Man flag will fly high. There will be much celebration. But
it won’t die down. We might take a day or two to recover and take a step back
and say “Wow! What a ride!”. But this fever, this new found sense of whatever
it is, will stay. The people of this great city will continue to smile and
share and create. This community is on fire and this is one flame that is
eternal.
I am part of the 12th man. The greatest fan base
on earth. We are loud. We are proud. And we are ready. Go Hawks!
No comments:
Post a Comment