Thursday, May 8, 2014

Happy Birthday to My Favorite Guy!

Happiest of Birthdays to my favorite guy in the whole world! I'm one lucky gal! I get to share my life with an amazing guy who shares the same passions as me and keeps me laughing. We have the same dreams and goals and I can't wait to see what the future holds for us! Here's to you handsome!

We decided to ignore the bits and piece of still wet drywall and peeled paint at home as a result of a leaky washing machine hose and celebrate Geoff's birthday by relaxing and having a good time. The walls at home can wait...

We've kind of got used to spending our birthdays in far flung lands doing incredible things. We know there will no topping some of those years, but we decided to make the most of this year and have a relaxing day all to ourselves. Yesterday we spent the day celebrating Geoff's birthday. It was a day early but due to weather forecasts and work schedules it actually turned out to be a pretty awesome day.

Geoff met me at the boat after he got off work. The sun was out but the winds were not exactly stellar. After changing into shorts and kicking off our shoes, we had cake! There is an amazing Italian bakery/ grocery store near us that makes an excellent cake. They also sell half cakes! Perfect for just 2 people
What's left of the Red Velvet Cake. Mmm!
who don't need an entire Red Velvet cake to tease them for days on end. It really was delicious, too. I forgot to take a picture of it before we started destroying it but you get the idea. We had ice cold Crabbies Orange Ginger Beer to go with it. Perfect.

We left the dock searching for some wind. There wasn't much to be found. We ended up floating around for a bit till the breeze picked up... and by breeze I mean barely a breathe of air. We then remembered we hadn't tried out our third sail yet! A wonderfully colorful "drifter" sail. It's labelled as a 150% Drifter Jib. Neither of us have dealt with light wind sails before and we weren't entirely sure what to expect since we'd barely even looked the sail over before. It lives in a canvas bag under the V-berth so we rarely remember we have it.
Up it goes!


You might remember that the last time I was aloft I rescued our lost halyard. We used this to haul up the sail with it clipped in at the base of the roller furler. Even in the lightest of winds it filled beautifully and instantly became my favorite sail. With the sun shining and the lake like a piece of glass I'm sure we were the prettiest boat on the lake and definitely the envy of everyone on shore.

We sailed around for a few hours and were back on solid ground for dinner reservations at Daniel's Broiler at Leschi. Geoff's choice, of course. A Steak house is not really my thing but I definitely didn't leave hungry. We started with fancy cocktails and the calamari, Geoff had the Rib-eye with a twice baked potato and I had a salad, a four cheese mac n' cheese and some glorious truffle parmesan fries. We were stuffed at the end but still managed to find room for a surprise birthday dessert compliments of the house. An ooey, gooey, warm lava cake with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and berry coulis. Nom nom nom!

Geoff's fancy Lava Cake!
We waddled back to the boat to gather our things and collapsed on the bed upon arriving home. Too full to even sit up anymore. The sound of snores came soon after. A pretty awesome day to celebrate an awesome guy. Happy Birthday Sweetie!

Enjoy some more pictures below.
Till next time, fair winds my friends!

Geoff trying out the gadget I rigged up to keep
his beard from misbehaving while on his motorcycle

Geoff handling the sheet for our drifter sail.
The still lake and the barely moving sailboats

The shadows of sails
Other sailboats trying to find a slight breeze.


No comments:

Post a Comment